Monday 4 February 2013

Marilyn's Cheesy Macaroni & Cheese with Cheese on top!


This is THE BEST mac n' cheese I've ever had, and trust me - I'm qualified to say that. My boyfriend makes fun of me for trying macaroni and cheese EVERYWHERE we travel (I call it research)! During radiation, pasta was one of the only things I could eat, and Marilyn was nice enough to give me her renowned recipe. This recipe only takes about half hour from prep to face-stuffing and is really about YOUR favorite flavors.  I made a couple of adjustments and I'll share it with you, just don't tell her!

Okay - Start a pot of water boiling and a skillet on medium heat. Preheat oven at 375

YOU WILL NEED:
Salt and Pepper
Half a small onion (finely chopped)
Small handful of flour
Wooden spoonful of margarine
Tablespoon of mustard
Milk (500ml) small carton
Spoonful of Cream cheese
Heaping plateful of THE SHARPEST grated cheddar you can afford
About 4 cups Elbow Macaroni (half a bag) 


1.Warm margarine in the skillet, and add chopped onion (let simmer for a minute or so)
2. Add a handful of flour and a squirt of mustard to make a lumpy-doughy-oniony mixture
3. Add half your milk and whisk gently - breaking up the doughy mixture. It will begin to create a sauce and thicken.
4. **DROP PASTA** Reduce skillet heat to low. Add the rest of your milk, and when simmering and thickened, slowly add your sharp cheddar, stirring to create a smooth, cheeeeesy sauce.
5. Taste - add a touch of salt and pepper, more cheese, cream cheese, or whatever you think it needs.
6. DRAIN PASTA and pour into lasagna dish 
7. POUR sauce on top, mix well, and grate extra cheese on top of that!!
8.Slide the whole dish into the oven, uncovered for about 10 minutes

OPEN THE OVEN - smells great right?? ENJOY!! 

*Cover and refrigerate once cooled.
** Mario likes to add hot dogs to his. You could also add a dash of your fave BBQ sauce or some shredded lunch meats for a childhood reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment